4 AA Political neutrality of New Zealand Security Intelligence Service
(1) The Director must take all reasonable steps to ensure that—
- (a) the activities of the Security Intelligence Service are limited to those that are relevant to the discharge of its functions:
- (b) the Security Intelligence Service is kept free from any influence or consideration that is not relevant to its functions:
- (c) the Security Intelligence Service does not take any action for the purpose of furthering or harming the interests of any political party.
(2) The Minister may not direct the Security Intelligence Service to institute the surveillance of any person or entity or any class of person or entity within New Zealand.
(3) The Director must consult regularly with the Leader of the Opposition for the purpose of keeping him or her informed about matters relating to security.
(4) Subsection (2) prevails over section 4(1).
Section 4AA was inserted, as from 1 September 1999, by section 4 New Zealand Security Intelligence Service Amendment (No 2) Act 1999 (1999 No 91).